Monday, April 20, 2009

The Real Deal


































Last night after we were briefed on our mission for today, I knew that this trip was going to be difficult. The convoy operation was going to be a long haul across some of the most desolate desert terrain on earth. I was going to be in the tight confines of a HUMVEE for hours at a time. There would be no lunch break or stops for food - energy bars and water were the order of the day. The bad guys were out there and we would be on high alert! However, nothing could have prepared me for the experience I was subjected to today.

We were up early, had our breakfast - good sustaining food - banana, oatmeal, eggs, waffles, oj and tea - I was thinking of the lack of food ahead of me. We then went into our final mission brief where we heard of the latest activities in the area and went over routes and tactics. Then it was time to load up and head out. I grabbed some Gatorade, made sure my bars were handy, wrapped my Afghan scarf around my neck knowing I would need it to filter out the dust later, then finally I squeezed my six foot four frame into a space that I swear was made for a man half my size. With all my armor on, stapped in and commed- up (headsets on), I was told my role in case there were hostiles.That part is always a little unsettling. Then the order was given to close the very heavy door and push the lever into its "battle ready" position.

Slowly we made our way out of the base and rumbled through the streets of the neighboring town single file. As usual we were greeted by waving children and the dagger-like stares of the older men. We quickly made it to the end of the paved road and bounced onto a gravel road that is considered a thoroughfare in Afghanistan. We ran out of gravel road in no time and we made our way toward our destination on what would sometimes be muddy tracks or fine, dusty, desert sand that stretched as far as the eye could see. Not 10 "clicks" from where we started we had our first problem. The first two vehicles in our convoy, while trying to cross a too deep canal, got water into their intakes and shut down. The convoy immediately went into alert mode and a safety stop was made. That means that a permiter was set and all eyes faced out and the gunners in the turrets constantly scanned the surroundings. After some time, the vehicles were repaired and we continued onward. THe tension was palpable as eyes scanned the road ahead intent on not being caught by an IED. Any foriegn objects or rocks that looked out of place was reason for vigilant scrutiny.

One of the objectives of our mission was to visit a village that had requested a pipeline be put in from the only clean well within 5 kilometers of their village. This would provide clean drinking water to the village. Today the residents walked back and forth to the well whenever clean water was needed. This was the story I was here to cover. A USDA ag advisor was going out with a military engineer and they were going to survey the area and determine if a pipeline was feasable.

Onward we rolled, kilometer after kilometer with the open expance of desert seeming like it went on forever. Although the vehicle had airconditioning, the gunner's turret was open into the cockpit so as the dust was kicked up by the massive tires ahead of us, we were all eating the fine mist of brown sand that settled on everything. Over the headsets there is constant chatter by the National Guardsmen from Illinois. They are the security detail for the FOB and take their job very seriously. They have to, as there have been incidents in this area within the recent past. In between the official communication between HUMVEES, there is talk of divorce, reupping, hearts broken by girlfriends back home and a somber tale of losing a buddy in combat not that long ago. In a very short time I find myself really liking these young men and having the utmost respect for what they do each and every day. Gunner Eldridge plans to sign up for another tour. Driver Austin contemplates his impending divorce between bad jokes and worse singing. Sgt. Lafond is my body guard today and he is constantly keeping the others focused but in a lighthearted way. The jokes are plenty and the cursing is constant - although they keep apologizing since I am a visitor. Lafond tells me that when they were assigned to Afghanistan, the men were pumped up to take the fight to the bad guys and as infantrymen they were ready to take them down. Then they were assigned to the PRT (Provincial Reconsruction Team) and now he is taking down the bad guys not with force but with goodwill and the helping spirit the team provides to improve lives and infrastructure throughout this province.

Suddenly through the 3 inch thick bullet proof glass I saw what looked like a scene out of Star Wars. A small village appeared on the horizon but the architecture and mud brick buildings had this otherworldly look. Rounded roofs behind ancient walls, all very precise and symetrical, looked like they were sculpted out of the same colored soil they sat on. We weaved our way through very narrow dirt paths that I'm sure the natives called roads. Several tight turns later we were at the other side of the village and continuing onward in our journey. Finally after a pit stop - with all the secuity drills as any other "safety stop", we arrived at our destination. No one was aware that we were coming (for security and safety reasons) so the elders are rounded up and asked to show us the clean well. While the advisor and the navy engineer survey the route of the pipeline, a civil affairs officer engages the elders and takes a "poll" of the situation in this village. Questions are asked through an interpreter and answers are freely given. We film, take photos of all the beautiful children who swarm around us asking for pens...not pencils, but pens. No one can tell me why pens are so treasured. The village is friendly and they are happy and looking forward to the day they don't have to drink "sour" water. DR, the ag advisor takes readings from one of the sources of water inside the village and the mineral content is 5 times the normal level. This could make animals sick, is not good for crops and most assuredly would cause stomach problems in the people, especially chidren, of this hamlet.

With the survey complete and the elder engagement meeting over, we roll out and head back to base. This is not a direct route back however. There are several more stops due to full canals which are not passable, more leader engagements in one or two more villages and rerouting due to safey concerns. The drive back seems to take forever. It has been 10 hours since we left the FOB when we make our final safey stop (pee break)...as I look around I cannot believe the environment I am seeing. All the way to the horizon there is nothing but desert. Flat and dry with not even a hint of green. What a desolate place. We are the last vehicle in the convoy and it is strange to see these intimidating military vehicles looking so tiny in this vast open space. Sgt. Lafond tells us to mount up and move 'em out. One last time I squeeze in, don the headphones and strap myself in. Everything around me is covered in dust. I feel the grit in my mouth and the dust in my throat. Eleven hours after we left the paved road, our HUMVEE crosses the final bridge before we enter the gates of the base. I thank the boys on behalf of my family and myself for taking me out and bringing me back safe and secure. "Our pleasure" they say in unison over the comm, "It's what we do and we're happy and proud to be doing it".

I ease my hurting, dirty body out of the big tin can and dust myself off before running to the bathroom washing my face and hands and heading to the mess hall. Chow time ends in 10 minutes! Before going to their mandatory debrief, all the men from the convoy beat me to the food line. Austin, Eldridge and Lafond all come over and as we shake hands and say our goodbyes I feel honored to be told, " Welcome to the REAL DEAL"....

4 comments:

  1. Now that's a story worth reading! I'm glad you're seeing the world, but I'll be glad to see you out of the REAL DEAL and back home! Keep writing. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get in on the agent rights for the reality/novel... great story ....really liked pictures posted. the three shot in middle of nowhere....read deal indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, Awesome writing. I truly felt like I was there...which is close enough for me! So much detail, security and planning to execute one very important trip. Love the pictures. You definitely have your title to your novel... The Real Deal. Be safe. Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about your days,it bring me back to 1958 on the Algerian border with the soldiers waiting to cross over. your writing is indeed owesome.and the pictures are great. be safe.Aisha.

    ReplyDelete