Thursday, April 23, 2009

R&R











I almost forgot what a goodnight sleep was like...not waking up because various parts of your body had no feeling due to the hard floor under you or helicopters whomp, whomp, whomping outside your window was a welcome relief. I slept so well that Dave K had to wake me from a deep sleep to tell me the cafeteria would close in 20 minutes - that meant it was 7:40AM...As we hurried to the cafeteria 10 minutes later, Dave K and I looked at each other and knew we were thinking the same thing. Dave K said it out loud for both of us...we missed our buddy Murphy who would greet us on our way to breakfast every morning at our last stop.

This morning there was something different in the cafe. There were a few children sitting amongst the workers getting ready for their day at the office. As we ate our breakfast, more and more children, girls in bright colored dresses and boys in their finest, kept coming through the door with their proud parents. It was “take your child to work” day and of course, since the US workers had no children here, the foreign service nationals (FSNs) who make up a large part of the staff, were bringing their kids in for the day. Dave K immediately saw an opportunity and went to the security officer to ask permission to take pictures of the events throughout the day. The parents show such enormous pride, smiling from ear to ear as they introduce their children to coworkers. The children are given crayons and pictures to color while they wait for more families to arrive.

When I make it back to my quarters, Dave K is excited as he is given permission to videotape and take photos. I can’t take pictures so I will have to rely on him to share his photos. He takes off in a hurry and I know I won’t see him for some time. I call up Jason knowing although it’s midnight back in North Carolina he would probably be up. He is up and we talk for a while about some of my experiences and what’s going on with him in these last couple weeks of the semester. I miss my family terribly. We say our goodbyes and I love yous and hang up. On my own for the first time in many days, I scan the Internet and watch the end of the Denver, New Orleans basketball game. As I flip through the channels the Armed Forces Network is showing what must be a repeat of the signing of the Kennedy Bill for voluntary service. Given where I am and what I am experiencing I can definitely see the merits of serving your country in some way and giving back when you can. Being alone with time on my hands I feel a sense of melancholy as I decompress from the highs and adrenaline rush of the past few days. I fully understand that I am experiencing a minute version of what the soldiers must go through on their exit from the war zone.

After checking on my work emails and sending off my timesheet to the office I am off to lunch. Dave K had returned earlier from his photo shoot and went off to lunch without me because there is so much more to document. I know what a thrill this is for him. I eat lunch by myself and then walk around the compound enjoying the beautiful day. It is a warm and sunny day and as I walk by the recreation area I see a crowd of kids on an improvised playground. There must be over a hundred kids here today. They are playing volleyball, soccer, duck-duck-goose and Frisbee. In the middle of it all is Dave K. It is a sea of chaos as there are way too many children on the small soccer field. No one really cares though as the squeals of delight and constant laughter permeates the air. I can’t help myself and I inevitably find myself in the midst of the melee throwing the Frisbee back and forth. I show the kids how to throw and catch. On the sidelines, the parents watch their children intently enjoying seeing the activities as much as their children are enjoying taking part in all the games. As I look out on this very surreal scene I smile and say to myself, “what melancholy feeling?”…these children just exude happiness and joy and you can’t help getting caught up in their world of innocence. How thankful I am that this took place today. I feel blessed to have been a part of it. I say goodbye to all my new friends and head back to the hooch for a much needed rest. I had a blast!!

Later in the afternoon I am invited to a party this evening to welcome the USDA Administrator of the Foreign Ag Service who is here from Washington, DC to review the PRT program. I guess this is really a day of rest and relaxation and I will take full advantage of it because after tomorrow we are off again for about 8 days straight. I promise myself to visit the gym tomorrow. I am feeling a sense of guilt for not going today. Oh well, it is called R&R after all...

2 comments:

  1. What luck with Bring Your Kids to Work Day! Great photos. Glad you're getting some R&R. Hope your next 8 days are fruitful with accomplishments and great b-roll. :-> Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is "that stuff" all over your face? :-)

    ReplyDelete