Friday, April 24, 2009

Lock Down

What started out as a normal boring day here in the compound, instead turned into another exciting Afghanistan day.

It started out with me waking up late and surprised to find Dave K still sleeping. He is always the first one up. Then again I shouldn't have been too surprised. Last night we attended a small get together for the visiting FAS Administrator from USDA in Washington, DC. Being the usual party pooper, I had one beer, conversed with a few people and said my goodbyes early. Dave and the others however, obviously stayed a lot later and because I had in ear plugs and a night mask (you need those in order to block out the lights and noise outside) I never heard DK come home. When I woke him so he wouldn't miss breakfast, he wasn't feeling too well.

After a light breakfast, we returned to the hooch and watched a great game of playoff basketball between the LA Lakers and Utah. We enjoyed the last second victory by Utah and for the first time in a long time I felt a connection with sports back home. We watch TV but it’s the Armed Forces Network which has weird schedules and a lot of CNN and BBC world news.

Once I finished checking emails and answering a few of them, I decided to make good on my promise to myself that I would make it to the gym today. This was when the day went from ordinary to a little exciting. As I headed for the gym I was stopped by one of our well strapped guards who told me I wasn't going to be able to go over to the other side of the compound to my favorite gym. I asked why and he told me about an incident in the city this morning. I was determined to work out so I went to the gym on this side of the compound. On my way there I saw a few folks who weren't happy campers. Because we were on lock down no one could leave the safety of the Embassy no matter what business you had on the outside or your official status. At this point I said a quiet, "Thank you God", knowing I was being selfish. You see, if this had happened tomorrow we would have missed our flight out in the morning or worse...well, let's not go there...

I familiarized myself with the "new" gym and had a vigorous workout. I think the additional adrenaline coursing through me made it all the more intense. On the way back to take a shower I got a few more details and figured we might be in this mode for a while. I got back to our room and informed Dave K that we would be eating in the cafeteria on this side today due to what was going on. We were both disappointed as we have become friends with the Afghan proprietor of the cafeteria across the way and we've got used to the not so good food. In addition we had been planning to go to the Friday bazaar which is held on the NATO compound within the safe zone but this was obviously off limits until the all clear sounded.

A couple hours after lunch we got the good news that the restrictions were lifted and we decided to head to the bazaar. I know this will shock my wife, but I actually had fun shopping and bartering with the vendors. Most of the items were so junky and eclectic - they covered the gamut. Rugs, scarves, jewelry, all kind of weaponry and every kind of nick knack you could imagine – and some you couldn’t. The vendors were aggressive but friendly and I soon learned that whatever price they started at, I needed to offer half or less. I did not buy much but what I did buy I made sure it didn’t add too much bulk or weight for my journey back home. The best items that were a real bargain were the Afghan and Iranian rugs. They were beautiful and although I couldn’t trust the quality I was tempted to buy one for our den (I could ship it from the military base next door). And then I came to my senses – was I crazy? There was no way I could buy something for the house without consulting my wife. I called her later after returning to the Embassy and I think she agreed that it would be best if she was in on the decision. Unfortunately cameras aren’t allowed otherwise I could have used technology to have her shop from afar.

Now I am packing and preparing to head out to the next military base on our agenda. I just got word that it will be in the 40’s at night and 70’s in the day. Rain jackets are a good idea since it is spring in the mountains and thunderstorms are the norm. We are actually looking forward to this trip. Everyone we tell where we are going next has the same response. “It’s like a vacation up there – with the beauty, climate and safety in that region.” We are glad to hear about the climate and the safety, especially after our last embed.

I hope to stay in touch while we are out for the next few days. I wish everyone who is following along a warm and sunny weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Well David, I am back from Denver and have just finished reading a over a weeks worth of your blog. I was brought to tears more than once thinking and hearing about the women and children.
    Your writing is beautiful and I feel as if I were there too. Looking forward to more.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - all your blogs are great. I shared them with Patrick Holian. He said they are fascinating and wishes you both safety and success. He is seeing the Southern Cross regularly now, from his side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just got done reading all your blogs thank you so much for all the great pictures .we have been working on the kitchen ,almost done! be safe. looking forward to more news from you.

    ReplyDelete