Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Shout out to Steven Jobs

The Ipod - what a remarkable invention!! In this thin, 1.5" x 3" marvel of technology I have what amounts to all the entertainment and literary material I could ever need for my month long sojourn. Just think - the contents of my iTouch includes: thousands of songs, TV shows (e.g., 4 seasons of "The Office"), my address book, a world clock (so I can see Kabul and DC time simultaneously), an audio book - "The Audacity of Hope", The Bible (both audio and text), photos - so i don't forget what the family looks like - and silly games to wile the hours away. In addition, when I am in a Wi-Fi area I am fully connected to the Internet and the applications usage is doubled. Did I say thanks Mr. Jobs and Apple?

When the weight and size of your gear are vital to travel in this environment, having all these at your disposal in such a small tool is a Godsend. Thanks to my tech savvy son who introduced me to the technology and helped load the 3000 plus songs, the TV shows, and other fun applications, I am able to get through the day with this little 21st century model of ingenuity.

By the way, because I am still old school, I did bring 3 novels along. Turning actual pages, kinda makes reading feel real...

Still raining and in the 50's....

3 comments:

  1. I wonder because you're not able to do what you there to do, does that mean you will have to stay longer or cut somethings out? I pray that you'll be able to accomplish at least on mission by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No update since Wednesday, which must mean that the weather cooperated and you are in the field. I look forward to hearing about your latest adventure and seeing the many photographs I know you will snap. Take care my friend; will be keeping you and your family in my prayers and in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep checking every night for news I guess your in the field.can't wait for more great photographs.take good care ,

    ReplyDelete